PF Sense and NAS

 I have a Synology NAS which hosts my Calibre books, Virtual Machine, Personal Website and NextCloud website.


All was working well as I had a consumer router and that allow me to go to something.wigley.me.uk and that worked well but having watched so many home labs and especially NetworkChuck on you tube I changed my router to a PF Sense box and I have started going technical!

Problems


  1.  Not all of the network ports were assigned to LAN so I had no connection to my NAS. 
  2. I could no longer go to my NAS via its web address it would go out of the PF Sense box and come back to the my house and PF Sense would interpret it as an attack.


After any hours of searching I found the DNS Resolver and added the domains to the list 


Goto PF Sense > Services > DNS Resolver > General Settings and scroll down to the bottom and add host overides one for each of your sites



So I use a third level domain like https://hello.mywebsite.co.uk where host = hello parent domain of host is mywebsite.co.uk    IP for return for host is the IP address of your NAS and description is anything you like to keep it recognisable. Then save and apply as usual.

So a little background in case of confusion I have set up my NAS with a reverse proxy and I have pointed a domain I own at my external IP.  This enables me to set up a third level domain to access all of my sites on my NAS otherwise I would have to open up ports in my firewall which is not a good idea.  Also I can use the Let's encrypt service in certificates in the security section of the Disk Station Manager and make each one encrypted which stops chrome and other browsers complaining about unsafe websites. 

Comments